MailChimp Add On Documentation
MailChimp can be an extremely powerful tool for communicating with and retaining your customers. The EDD MailChimp extension allows you to subscribe customers to specific email lists for later communication while following the MailChimp rules for adding people to lists.
Configuring the MailChimp Add-On
To configure the MailChimp Add On you will need to complete its settings.
- Log into the WordPress Admin area
- Navigate to Downloads → Settings and click on the Extensions tab
- Then click on the Mailchimp link right under the tabs.
- Fill out the appropriate fields
- The MailChimp API Key must be acquired from mailchimp.com
- Log into the MailChimp account you want to connect to this Add On
- Navigate to Account | Extras | API Keys & Authorized Apps
- Click the "Add A Key" button
- (Optional) Edit the "Label" to something relevant such as "EDD on <mysite.com>"
- Copy the API Key.
- Return to the MailChimp Settings in your WordPress dashboard and paste/enter the MailChimp API key into the MailChimp API Key field.
- Click the "Save Changes" button at the bottom of the page. This will allow the MailChimp Add On to retrieve the mailing lists from MailChimp.
- Choose whether or not to "Show Signup On Checkout." When selected, this option output a checkbox on the checkout page giving the customer the option to sign up to the mailing list selected in the next step.
- Choose the appropriate mailing list from the drop down box beside "Choose a list"
- Add a short, appropriate description of the checkbox in the "Checkout Label" field. If left blank, the buyer will just see a checkbox with no idea what it could be for.
- Select "Double Opt-In" if you would like customers to receive a verification email before being subscribed to your mailing list.
Per-product Mailing List Settings
You can also subscribe customers to one or more MailChimp mailing lists by going to the product edit screen and selecting the list(s) you wish customers to be added to in the "MailChimp" box. In this section, you can also select whether to subscribe customers to specific groups within the list. If a list has one or more groups, the group(s) will be shown as an additional checkbox that is indented below the main list name, like this:
The per-product mailing list settings are separate from the default list setting you configured previously. The per-product mailing list settings do not output a checkbox anywhere or require that the customer opt into the mailing lists. The act of purchasing the product automatically adds customers to the lists.
Batch Importing Sales Data
If you install this extension when you already have customers, and you'd like to get past data into your MailChimp lists, you can use the batch importer. Go to Downloads → Tools and find the section labelled Send sales data to Mailchimp.
Simply enter a start date and an end date and it will import data about the sales this product has had and attach it to any existing users on your MailChimp lists. You can find out more about this on MailChimp's website.
Note: When doing the import, a tag will be created on the user at MailChimp indicating what product was purchased.
Note: Importing sales data does not add users to your email lists. It only imports the sales data into the MailChimp eCommerce360 database.
Note: If your store makes more than 1,000 sales a month, we recommend not doing more than a month at a time to avoid exceeding MailChimp's max number of API calls in a given timeframe.
Why can't I see my new MailChimp lists in WordPress?
The extension only retrieves lists from MailChimp every 4 hours (approximately). This is to prevent your site from contacting MailChimp too often. To force refresh your lists, go to Downloads > Settings > Extensions and click Save Changes.
Why aren't users being signed-up at checkout?
If you have set up anything that causes the customer to bypass the "normal" checkout screen, they won't be added to the 'Checkout' MailChimp list based on your default MailChimp settings. A few examples of this would be " Buy Now" buttons via Stripe Checkout, Paypal, or any other checkout-bypassing setup.
If you are using the Free Downloads extension and you want your users to be subscribed to MailChimp when downloading, make sure to check the "Display Opt-In" setting under Downloads → Settings → Extensions (tab) → MailChimp (section).
If my store is set to bypass the checkout screen, will customers be subscribed to the MailChimp per-product mailing lists?
Yes. They will be signed up to per-product mailing lists (see "Per-product Mailing List Settings" above). However, they will not be signed up to the "Checkout" list specified under Step 8 above.