Discount codes allow you to offer products at a discount through a variety of means. Exact amounts off, percentages off, during specific times, etc. Unless requirements or exclusions are placed on the discount code, it automatically applies to every product.
Options and Settings
Settings for discounts are configured at Downloads → Discount Codes.
This is for internal use only, and won't be seen by customers. Feel free to make it something descriptive and useful to you.
This is a short piece of text that customers can use to apply the discount. It should be short enough to be easily remembered and used. Some examples:
- used if you simply want to offer 10 per cent off something
- used if you wanted to work with your local Humane Society on a marketing campaign.
The possibilities are endless.
Note: keep in mind your audience. If your code is going to be used often vocally (like on the radio, tv, or from a stage) make it easy to understand when spoken.
This can be a percentage or a flat amount.
This needs to be a number. If Type is set to percentage then an amount of 10 is 10%. If Type is flat then an amount of 10 is $10.
This section has 3 parts.
- First you may list one or more products that are required to be in the cart before the discount can be applied.
- Secondly you may choose to either require all required downloads to be in the cart, or only one of the required downloads to be in the cart.
- Thirdly you may choose to apply the discount to the entire purchase or only the downloads selected for this section.
NOTE: Unless requirements or exclusions are placed on the discount code, it automatically applies to every product.
Here are some scenarios:
- You require 3 ebooks, choose Cart needs one or more of the selected downloads, and Apply discount to entire purchase. The customer puts 7 things in the cart, ONE of which is in the required list, and the discount is applied to all 7 items.
- You require 1 ebook, choose Cart must contain downloads, and Apply discount to entire purchase. The customer puts 7 things in the cart, ONE of which is in the required list, and the discount is applied to all 7 items.
- You require 3 ebooks, choose Cart needs one or more of the selected downloads, and Apply discount only to selected Downloads. The customer puts 7 things in the cart, ONE of which is in the required list, and the discount is applied to ONLY the one from your required list.
Here you choose any items that cannot be discounted, regardless of whatever other settings might match to try to discount it.
With this tool you can set up a discount for a future start date. An excellent example is when you need to start a discount on a weekend, but you'll be away from your computer.
Similar to Start date, but for and ending date. An example would be when you need it to stop at midnight, but you'll be in bed.
Note: The time zone is UTC (which should be your server's time). Therefore to get a discount code to stop working at 11:59 local time, you'll have to convert it to UTC.
This sets the minimum order total required before the discount can be applied.
A Discount can be Active or Inactive. An Inactive Discount is simply unavailable on the front end, but still exists for easy enabling.
Use Once Per Customer
This provides the option to restrict a Discount to one user per customer.
Redeeming Discount Codes
Discount Codes can be applied in two different ways.
In the checkout page the customer will see a link to enter a Discount Code.
When that is click a form appears to enter the code.
Once the customer clicks apply the total will immediately update in the cart.
Passed via URL
Any URL on your site that has ?discount=CODE (where CODE is whatever Discount Code you've made up) will store that code in a session variable, so that when the customer gets to the checkout page, the code is automatically placed into the above form, and the discount is automatically applied.
To find all payments that used a specific discount code go to Downloads → Payment History and use the search field in the top right of the archive to search for any given code:
Why does my discount not start or expire on the date and/or time I have set?
This is due to the fact the set time the wrong timezone. Discount codes require the date and time to be set to your server's time, most likely UTC. Doing so will allow it to start and end at the correct times. Here's a simple tool that should make it easy to set your discount to the correct time: https://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/
Set the first option to your local timezone and the time you want your discount to start or end. Set the second option to UTC (assuming that is your server's time setting). Use the time that appears above UTC as your discount code's start and/or end time.