Software Licensing - Common Issues and FAQs
The Software Licensing Extension for Easy Digital Downloads requires some setup and integration - and it is possible that you may experience some issues. A few of those are outlined here with potential solutions.
Does Software Licensing work with Amazon S3?
Yes, it's fully compatible with no issues and no special settings. It just works.
If your customers are getting any of these errors when updating their products, you will need to contact your web host to let them know that your SSL certificate is improperly configured:
- Download failed. SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name
- Download failed. SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK
For a full list of common resolutions to updates being delivered, see our comprehensive list.
License Keys Not Activating
Plugin updates not showing up
Error or problem during plugin / theme update
Please see our document on troubleshooting update issues.
Search and Replace Issues
The sample code that comes with Software Licensing has function prefixes like
edd_sl_. These should be changed to match your own plugin, and search-and-replace is an excellent way to do it, but you need to be careful of your search string.
There are functions with prefixes like
edd_action_ that should not be changed. Make sure you're only changing your own function name prefixes, and not EDD core prefixes.
Icons not showing on the Plugin Update screen
In version 3.6.5 of Software Licensing, we bundled a new version of the
EDD_SL_Plugin_Updater that contained support for plugin icons in WordPress 4.9 or greater. The main reasons these icons would not show are:
- The latest version of the Updater class has not been included in your distributed software. Learn more on integrating the updater with your plugin.
- The product does not have a featured image.
- The product has not had the proper thumbnail sizes created. This would happen if the featured image was uploaded prior to Software Licensing supporting plugin icons. To fix this you can use WPCLI or the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin, which will contain the proper sizes for the icon.